Its been a couple weeks since I gave a house update. While still in the thick of it with dust flying left and right, things are moving along nicely. We’re finally turning a corner where all the dirty prep work is wrapping up, and we can soon begin cosmetic projects like refinishing the floors and painting. Let’s just say that when we’re done with phase one of renovations, the whole house will have a facelift. And I say phase one, as we know (and people are often quick to remind us) that you’re never truly done working on a house. Its just one project after another for the foreseeable future. And we’re okay with that. Not sure what we would do if there wasn’t anything to work on. Probably drive each other even more crazy than we already do now. But I digress.
And now for another update.
The great outdoors
You know that overgrown front landscaping
we’ve been working on for a few weeks now? Well after leveling out the pain-in-the-butt garden bricks, Dan’s mom completed her masterpiece. And it looks great.
Next stop was starting the backyard landscaping. After my dad and brother cleared out the gardens, Dan’s mom helped make them pretty again. A nice garden that separates the driveway and back patio and two against the back of the house that we turned into rose and butterfly gardens. Let’s just hope I can keep all of this alive.
Almost forgot about this guy. While digging out the gardens, we came across this old stone. Of course we decided to keep it and just give it a new face. Looking good =)
In the mean time, there was a lot of work to still do in the yard – cleaning out behind and between the garages. Good thing I had my mom and sister along to help. Nothing like three Kapanek women attempting to move 100lb stumps stuck in the mud. Nevertheless, we made it happen =)
Now you may or may not be asking yourself what we’ve been doing with all that garbage from these demo/rehab projects (especially the ones involving plaster, drywall, and tile from the 70’s). Well luckily, our house conveniently came with an over-sized garage built by a previous owner who had a few too many toys to store. And that, my friends, is where it all piled up.
Not wanting to make a scene with a dumpster sitting in our driveway for a month, we decided to store it all in there until most of the work was complete. Well thankfully, this was the week we were able to get rid of most of it.
5.2 tons later, and our garage was emptied out. Leaving space for us to fill right back up again.
Cloud of dust
The moment I’ve been waiting for – endlessly scraping paint finally ended. And while I said that the dirty prep work was coming to a close, its not quite finished yet. Mudding and sanding walls smooth apparently creates a big mess. So much so that you can be standing 5 feet away from someone and not be able to see them through the big white cloud of dust.
A hint at the fun part
And now, for a very small hint of the fun part. Amidst all the craziness, we have to keep in mind that we’ll eventually get to the point where we can put a new face on the inside of the house. And that means – paint! Twelve paint samples later, and we finally came up with our color scheme.
Turning a corner and catching a glimpse of the light at the end of the tunnel. Just a glimpse. We still have a long way to go, but are definitely enjoying the ride and making memories along the way.
And now, for another backyard view, just because.